Saturday, February 7, 2009

Portraits- My work of Art!

* This is the original work of Achyut Telang and you may not reproduce or distribute this information in whole or in part and all photos, images etc on this blog post cannot be copied, edited, reproduced or used without the prior written permission of Achyut Telang.

* NOTE : Click on the drawings for a larger and better view.

Yesterday I got a bright idea and I thought - How about including all the other stuff that I do on my blog itself?

If you have seen my profile, you will know that my hobbies include - the very first one being drawing portraits. So for those of you who might be wondering what kind of portraits I make, fret not, here it is, just for you to look at and marvel, if I may say that!

Also note that these pictures that I have made on paper are not scanned but taken by a digital camera without even switching the flash off! So it might not be the best to look at. I will soon update these portraits scanned. So watch out for it...........


1) Akshay Kumar-

For those of you who might not know, Akshay Kumar is a famous Bollywood actor in India. He has always been my favourite and for me to draw portraits, that is an important requirement that I love the subject whatever I am doing. Yesterday someone asked me to make his portrait and I have got many such requests and have been getting them since my childhood. But those of you who have never tried their hand at drawing, specially portarits won't understand. He also asked me to put an ad like- Get your portrait done for some amount of money.
Now though that is tempting, it is really not for me.-

- Firstly, I can't just draw anytime anyone asks me. For me it is more of a personal thing rather than commercial. I have to be in that frame of mind and inspired to do it.

- Secondly, I can't just make anyone's portrait; for me I need to have an interest almost a deep interest in that person whose face I will be making. And only when I love that person, can I draw it beautifully because that love comes out in each and every mark that I make or a line that I draw. The intense care with which I make a person's portrait whom I love cannot be there for just about anyone.

- Thirdly, I would rather prefer drawing from pictures rather than a person sitting in front of me. The reason being, one that it is much easier to draw a 2-dimensional portrait from a 2-dimensional picture rather than from a 3-dimensional person and also most of my attention would be on the fact that I would be making the person wait, making him sit like a statue which obviously isn't quite pleasing or comfortable is what I would like to think. So drawing from pictures, I don't have to worry about that.

In this picture, the frame that I have made was not in the original picture but in another one hanging on the wall in my home. I made it from there, just to add to its beauty.


2) Amitabh Bachchan-

Again for the people not knowing, Amitabh Bachchan too is a Bollywood actor, perhaps the best in India and among the world. He is really an icon, the man who can and who does represent Bollywood and India to the world.

In this picture, the look was what was inspiring to me - the intense feeling portrayed by the face, the agonizing look, to capture that was what made me do it and I am glad that if not anything else, it has managed to get the look which is conveying so much.


3) Franziska Almsick-

The name is already written in the drawing.

Now I don't really know who she is. Perhaps many of you might know her. And neither do I know why I did her portrait.

One thing that I would like to mention is techniques in drawing, just in case many of you might want to know. Generally I don't use any kind of technique at all. Neither did I have any kind of formal training in art or anything. Although, my grandfather who was a good artist and his daughters i.e. my maternal aunts did suggest a few things.

One was that we can make boxes i.e. grids on both the original picture and the paper on which we are going to draw. If the size of the picture is too small or too large and you want to draw a normal size, you can make the grids in various ratios whichever would be appropriate like 1:2 or 2:1 , 1:1.5 etc and you can take it one box at a time and make the 1st box exactly as it is in the picture, then the corresponding second one and so on.

Though useful for people learning art, I did not find it too useful. The reason is that the grids can never come out exactly matching and so after you have taken it a box at a time, finally the picture won't be perhaps quite as you might expect it to be! The only suggestion I can give for this technique is that even though taking it a box at a time, do keep an eye for the whole picture as well i.e. constantly have the 'big picture' so to speak in your awareness.
The examples of the grid technique( I don't even know if it is called that, or whether such a technique exists or it is just a name I gave!) are- Akshay Kumar and Franziska Almsick. Others are just free hand.No technique or anything.

Another thing that I insist on, just my craziness, fussiness, that noone should look at my drawing before it is completely done!


4) Jennifer Aniston-

There she is- Jennifer! Need I even mention her name?!

Actually it was also kind of a fun game at the end when I would ask my family members or anyone whom I showed the pictures to tell whose portrait it was. And if they got it right, it would please me that I did a good enough job and atleast it was recognizable! The secret to this, whoever wants to achieve it, might be to capture those stand-out features or the unique features of that person which we link to that person very strongly, like for example, although I haven't done her portrait, Keira Knightley's famous pout. If you get that right and other features might not match as well, rest assured, most of the people will immediately recognize!

Now I did Jennifer's portrait mainly because I absolutely adore 'FRIENDS'! Those of you who have seen FRIENDS would understand. It was a sitcom about 6 friends and Jennifer played the role of Rachel Green in it and interestingly she was the reason I started watching FRIENDS in the first place! An interesting circle don't you think?

So when I came across her beautiful trademark look, I just had to do it, perhaps as a tribute to FRIENDS!

From this portrait, one another thing I would like to mention is an advice that my maternal aunt gave me from one of the mistakes I had made in one of my portraits- draw the hair-lines in the same direction as given in the picture. So one thing I understood from it was basically, make it exactly as the original picture is!

And talking of techniques, the one that I have invented which I feel is quite revolutionary for me specially if you are into the kind of art I am in of trying to create almost the same picture is to from time to time to just turn both the picture and your paper upside down and then look at it. You will find a new perspective and what you thought you did exactly like the picture might not really be. It was that only from one view point. When you look from different dimensions, you become aware of so many other things and dimensions.


5) Preity Zinta-

Ah! Another one of those pretty ladies. There isn't a thing as too many portraits of pretty ladies is it?

A secret that perhaps very few of you might know is that this woman, whose portrait is there just above is one whom I really love and admire from a long time. She is Preity Zinta -another one from Bollywood, India and is an actress.

Perhaps you can feel that in this portrait and the point that I made below the first portrait- the love and care with which I made this. This is what I am talking about.

This picture is saved for the last because according to me it is the best. What is your opinion? I know it might differ but I consider this the best I have ever done and lovingly call it- "My Master-piece"!

It is such a simple picture, the eyes are very simple, just a circle and a 'windows' kind at the centre of them, as my sister famously once remarked!

For me the eyes are the most important in the portrait and perhaps called as the most difficult. But I do them first and usually that is what I do best. Lips and teeth feature among the things that I do worst in addition to fingers! I really don't know the reason behind this!!!

Also a difficult thing to negotiate is doing the left side proportional and properly complementing the right or vice versa. Generally the eye level of both eyes is what you need to watch out for specially if the head is tilted to a side etc. Just a practical advise for you wannabe or budding artists or anyone who wants to know. I feel like an art expert giving expert opinion and advise to novices etc which by no means I am.

Infact I don't even consider what I do as 'creative'. Because basically what I am doing is I am taking a picture and recreating an almost exact one on another paper. I work on making it as similar as possible. Not even a smallest line I make without making sure it is exactly as in the picture. This is the difference between a good look-a-like portrait and others. I have seen many people just see a line in the actual picture once and just make it on their paper, assuming it is the same. No! it is not. Even a smallest point or dot misplaced can completely change the picture specially in the eyes atleast that's what I found when I do it.

Now what I was saying was I don't consider my work creative because afterall basically I am just copying! I am making another one alike. But what is the point of it? Even a photo-copy machine does it better, infact much better, with absolutely no difference! So what is the point of me making it. One is I enjoy it and second it gives me joy! Yes, yes I hear you saying that the first and second point are no different but that is what it really is! After 2,3,4 or 5 hours I look at what I have made, it makes me feel proud and brings a smile to my face.

But still it isn't creative. Creative would be when we make something new, something out of our imagination, our original ideas expressed. That's creative, not just copying. So though people marvel and appreciate my work and compliment me for what I have made, within I know it's not much.
They say a good work, a portrait or sculpture is not made, you don't make a good sculpture rather let me put it this way- it is said about a great sculptor that he said about a Jesus Christ statue he had made that he did not see the rock but he saw Jesus Christ beckoning him and he just removed the parts of the rock surrounding Jesus Christ and there it was! He did not create it, he just removed the unnecessary things and there it was which was already existing. It only became apparent and manifest.

That is really art. That is the perfect definition on art. You are not the creator, you can only allow existence to create through you. You can become a vehicle for the creator just like an empty flute!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote - "I don't like defining myself. I just am." Britney Spears

41 comments:

Anonymous said...

The thing I love mostly about all of these portraits is the lively lifelike eyes. I have seen too many paintings of people where the eyes look flat and dead. You have some amazing talent. Awesome work. I voted for Jennifer Aniston. She is one of my favorite actresses. Keep drawing, you have a beautiful talent that will keep getting better and better.
~K

Achyut Telang said...

@ k.fields,
Thanks a lot for your encouraging comments. You are right, I have always felt that the thing that puts life in a portrait, is the eyes and fortunately that is one thing I do well. Don't know about getting better as now I will hardly be getting much time for drawing after I get a job and start working!

Tara said...

What talent you have! The last one is my favorite. Do you know the feature in photo shop that allows you to alter a real photo to make it look like a drawing? It almost looks like that. I think it's wonderful how much love you put into your drawings.

Achyut Telang said...

@ robin,
Thanks a lot for your wonderful comments. No I don't know that feature in photoshop...but I would definitely request you to also vote in this poll...

Tara said...

I voted now.

Fahmi Raazali said...

Nice portrait, I am suck at drawing. But I do love technical drawing. For me it easier than doing some portrait.

Anonymous said...

Achyut, I voted for the second one, Amitabh, which I think really good. Nice work.

Anonymous said...

I love all the portraits you drew, I voted for Jennifer because I know who she is, but I have to tell you..the eyes fascinated me.

I have tried to draw eyes before and can't seem to get them to look alive and sparkly, like you have. Amazing work! Thanks for sharing

Achyut Telang said...

Hey rani,
Thanks for your vote...and your compliments!

Achyut Telang said...

@ Arcticulates,
Thanks a lot for your vote and comments. The eyes really are the most important and difficult to draw..and getting them right is crucial..I am glad you liked all the portraits....though now I would hardly get much time to draw after I get a job and start working....I did all this in my student life only...Let's see.

Anonymous said...

wow I like number three best but there are elements in all of them that are striking , very talented!

Achyut Telang said...

@kat,
Hey, thanks for your comments. I am glad you liked the portraits I have made.

Anonymous said...

All are very nice, but I like #3 best as it seems kind of abstract...not as neat and pretty as the others. I voted!

Anonymous said...

Great work man!! I just really love the art works in your blog!! Really love those works. Even i do good paintings! I will have a track of your site and also interested in a link exchange so that i can have frequent visits but i expect the same from you!!

Anonymous said...

Very nice artwork! You have a real talent for drawing, especially the eyes. A couple of times I had to remind myself that these were drawings not photographs. Well done!

Achyut Telang said...

@ Holly,
Hey, I am glad you liked the portraits but I am not really sure about the abstract thing that you wrote!

Achyut Telang said...

@ Mukund,
Hey Mukund, thanks for the comments! I like your blog too and hope you would put up your paintings there so that I too can see it!

Achyut Telang said...

@ Mad Mad Margo,
You have given me one of the best compliments I have ever recieved..Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I wish I have your talent. I like the "Jennifer Aniston" sketch the most.

Mr. Wilson said...

very interesting art man..keep it up..nice blog..please come by to my blog..

Achyut Telang said...

@ leafless,
Many people seem to like Jennifer's sketch because she is the only one they know..But personally, I feel the last one is the best!

Achyut Telang said...

@ Mr. Wilson,
(It reminds me of Dennis the Menace :))
Thank you for your kind words..will surely check out your blog too.

Anonymous said...

hey dear!
this is amazing! ur so good at this creative form! my personal favorite among the above display portraits was of preity zinta and a real shocker was the one of jennifer aniston! it just bumped up like the real image of her's ,was so beutiful, as if the black and white picture turning and moulding into colourful hairs of her! i was dumbstruck! dint knew that a person who had have acquatainces with SOM and MACHINES can be as influenced by such soft and totally different forms of art!
god bless u sir!

Achyut Telang said...

Hi Pulkit!
Thanks for one of the best comments I have ever received. Preity Zinta's portrait is my personal favourite too...Thanks once again for the wonderful comments! :)

Anonymous said...

Outstanding photos and sketches! You are very talented. I loved the work and what you wrote about it. Make that a "brand" and sell it with words etc.

Achyut Telang said...

@ Damien Riley,
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

You are very talented, doing pencil portraits! BTW - where did you get that blog format (pad of paper etc)? I don't recognize it as one offered by Blogspot.

Achyut Telang said...

@ Mary Swanson,
Thank you for your compliments!
Yes, it is not offered by blogspot. I got it from a website.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Achyut.
Very nice blog you have, congrats!
You can also use more shadows to give a portrait a bit glamour and mistery ...
Excellent work, Achyut!!

Achyut Telang said...

@ Andi Bob,
Thanks for giving me something to think about.

Anonymous said...

I really did enjoy your blog. I love to do portraits too so was fascinated by your artwork

Achyut Telang said...

@ Chrissy Marie,
Thanks for your comments...

Anonymous said...

Wow you really got talents. When I was young, I like to do drawings like you. But, I'm only good at drawing cartoons (maybe I should publish my drawing too.. ) Great stuff. Keep up the good work.

Achyut Telang said...

@ Ismail N,
Thank you for your kind words...I would like to see your drawings as well..

Anonymous said...

YOu do really nice.. sketchings.. Even I am fond of doing it.. But U are a step ahead....change the contrast of ur pics before posting...

Achyut Telang said...

@ naik suresh,
thanks for the suggestions but it is because I put up these 5 portraits by taking it through a digital camera and not by scanning them....Just look at the latest portrait on Ghajini..i put it up by scanning it.

matt said...

Nice sketches!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you really can draw. That's awesome man. I like the notebook paper layout as well.

Achyut Telang said...

@ skepto,
Thanks.

Achyut Telang said...

@ Lee J,
Yes, I chose this layout to match my content.

Achyut Telang said...

@ fahmi,
don't worry..everyone is good at something.atleast you are good in technical drawing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...